Monday, September 13, 2010

A New Tool for the Toolbox

The Bridge!

I was riding one of the young horses and Heike made a comment that I should really try to keep my hands closer together; create a little imaginary box right in front on the withers and keep my hands INSIDE. Normally when I ride young horses I end up having my hands a little lower and wider, which is fine sometimes, but eventually they have to accept the contact from a slightly closer and elevated hand. Sometimes I try to micro-manage every little moment and correct it before it happens. Sometimes this works out great but other times I get in the horses way and become a bit too busy. Not busy as in moving my hands around in gigantic movements as if I were painting an elaborate piece of art but simply just giving to many little aids in to short of time. Remember: give an aid, give the horse a chance to react, and then repeat if necessary.

The bridge is a great way to feel how slight your rein aids can really be as well as how much more support you can give with your leg and weight aids. It allows you to feel if there are any crooked points in your position and/or your horse’s body. Maybe you have been compensating with your right rein for what your right leg should have been doing?

To make the Bridge take the left rein in the left hand and lay the rest of the rein flat across the withers, then take the right rein in the right hand and lay the rest flat across the withers. Now take the extra part of the rein in each hand. You should have two layers of reins in each hand. This creates small “bridge” on top of the horse’s withers. The forces, in a way that doesn’t negatively affect your horse, to keep your hands steady and only using a slight motion of the wrist for your rein aid. I know it sounds confusing and it will probably feel impossible for the first few rounds but stick with it and really try to feel how your leg and seat aid should precede your rein aids!

After we have mastered the bridge we can move onto riding with only one hand!!

Thanks for reading!

-Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment