Sunday, April 19, 2009

Shiny New Bike...

I am the proud owner of a new red Speedbike. I know by the name you think that my bike has several gears and goes extremely fast, but no! It is a city bike with one gear, a cute little bell, and a basket. Least to say I feel like a grandma riding around on my fancy new bike. Everyone here uses their bikes to go everyone, work, dinner, shopping, over a friend's house. Nearly everyplace we go we ride our bikes instead of driving. Europeans are very environmentally conscious and also strive to save a Euro or two. Gas prices are through the roof over here. It is 1.40 Euro a liter!
Needless to say, I felt like such a little kid going to the bike shop and trying out several bikes! It was fun though and now I have taken another step towards European living.
My New Bike:



Along with getting my new bike, this week has been filled with mixed emotions. First thing Tuesday morning the farm lost a dear friend. Kodie, a 12 year old chocolate lab owned by Casey (my roommate). It was a complete accident but the owner of the hof (stable) hit him with the tractor. He died instantly. So that put quite the damper on the rest of the week. Kodie had been with Casey here in Germany since he was 2 and gone everywhere with her. For Casey it was like losing a child. Here are a few pictures to remember our dear friend:

Kodie swimming with Mia, his younger sister (She misses him terribly)

Kodie was a great swimmer!

To cute for words!
The other crazy happening this week, the World Cup in Las Vegas! As I'm sure most of you know, everyone here at the hof was hoping Catherine would be granted a wildcard from the United States. Clearly that didn't happen for whatever reason, things happen. The US chose Jan Eibling and Leslie Morse as the wildcards. Of course we all watched the livestream of the Grand Prix on Thursday night and woke up at 4am this morning to watch the Kur. It was awful to see the Americans' performance. Of course, no one can dispute that Stephan and Ravel stole the show and were incredible! But Leslie brought a horse that had had several lameness issues leading up to Vegas and then was rung out within the first minute of her test. So awful!! Then Jan! Everyone has a bad day and I felt terrible for him, but at the World Cup Final you would think the horse and rider would be prepared for the electric atmosphere. It was hard to watch everything unfold knowing that a seasoned US competitor (Catherine) that has proven herself with a sound horse and was dying to compete was sitting at home.
Then again what do I know and who am I to judge others but it was just frustrating to watch. Of course I'm partial to Catherine! I work for her and I really wanted to do to Vegas myself.
But more exciting things are on the horizon for "Stall Haddad." Next weekend Catherine and I will be travelling to Haagen, Germany with three Grand Prix horses, two to compete and one to school. After Haagen there are 8 more weeks of intense shows. I will be on the road to everyone of them, Rotterdam and Aachen included where Catherine will represent the US as a team competitor and probably ride along side Stephan and Ravel. Most of the shows are in Germany, but there is also one in France and Hungry. It should be quite the adventure!
Thanks for reading!!
-Meaghan

1 comment:

  1. Your bike is super cute! I dig it. It needs some streamers though.

    ReplyDelete